A few years ago on one of our stops in Hannibal, MO, I purchased nine appliqued blocks from the Samuel Clemens Antique Mall. I didn’t know why at the time. Don’t even like Sunbonnet Sue patterns. I seriously think the fabrics are 60’s or 70’s, even maybe 80’s. They’ve sat in the closet several years.
So, about a month ago, I got them out and dusted them off. What to do? First of all, not all the girls are centered on the backgrounds. Secondly, the background fabric on some was a very thin muslin and on some, bedsheet material. Since I decided on my own that I wasn’t dealing with museum quality work, I would give these girls a new background. I chose a white-on-white print.
Then I set out ripping the appliqued pieces off the back ground. I was going to just reapply them by hand onto the new background. Starting with the red girl, I discovered underneath the pieces, the pattern the lady had drawn to guide placement. The scallops on the dress and umbrella were more pronounced.
Next, I thought I would iron out the turned under edges of the pieces, reshape them, and hand sew them to the new background. They were ironed, but then I didn’t like the idea of turning under the edges and hand sewing. It was more time than I wanted to spend, so I just recut them and machine appliqued them with a small zig-zag stitch (not the satin kind).
Next, I purchased some ric-rac and for the sashing and border I’ll use whatever is in my stash.
So now I’ve added the ric-rac and sashing and borders. It’s not bad. I like the idea of using whatever I have on hand, but I did have to buy some backing since the plain pink was not enough.